How to use argan oil for hair
If you’re ready to reap the benefits of argan oil for your hair, there are a few ways to do it.
Argan oil hair mask
Making your own argan oil mask is easy. Using pure argan oil will get you the most bang for your buck because you can use it on its own or combine it with other nourishing ingredients, like coconut oil or castor oil.
- Using your hands, massage 8 to 10 drops of argan oil into your hair and scalp. Adjust the amount as needed based on the length of your hair.
- Continue to massage your hair and scalp for 10 minutes, ensuring your hair is covered from roots to ends.
- Wrap your hair in a towel or hair wrap and leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair in the morning and style as usual.
You can buy argan oil shampoo, but making your own is easy, too.
- Pour your usual amount of shampoo into the palm of your hand.
- Add one or two drops of argan oil to the shampoo and rub your hands together until it’s mixed.
- Apply to your hair and wash and rinse as usual.
- Repeat every two or three days.
You can skip your usual conditioner and use argan oil as a leave-in conditioner to reduce breakage from combing and styling.
- Wash your hair thoroughly per the directions on the shampoo bottle.
- Towel-dry your hair so that it’s not dripping.
- Rub two or three drops of the oil in your hands and apply to your hair.
- Dry and style your hair as usual.
- Do this once or twice a week.
Use argan oil as a styling product to smooth your hair and tone down frizz. It can also protect your hair from heat styling.
- Squeeze one or two drops of argan oil into your palm and rub your hands together.
- Lightly apply to your clean, dry hair without massaging it into the scalp — a light coating on your hair’s surface is what you want.
- Style as usual.